This is how much you pay Scorpion per month. Premiums can be paid through stop order, debit order, at an easy-pay outlet, at the post office, or at selected full-service branches.
Benefits and cover - What you get when you join Scorpion
Paralegal services are dispute prevention services that we provide through our legally trained counsellors. These services can be obtained through our 24/7 Legal Contact Centre, or through a face-to-face consultation at one of our branches.
Legal expenses insurance (cover in court)
If we are unable to resolve the matter via paralegal services, Scorpion will provide you with a network lawyer. There is a one month waiting period after membership is confirmed during which cover in court is not available. Terms conditions and maximum limits apply.
Legal Expenses Accidental Death cover (LEAD)
This is a lump sum payout to a chosen beneficiary if the main member passes away from an accidental death. From the time we receive your first premium, you are covered for an accidental death.
This is cover for job or work-related problems, for example: unfair labour practices, unfair dismissals, unfair retrenchments, unpaid wages, unfair demotion, discrimination, unfair restraint of trade agreements, discrimination in the workplace, etc.
Civil and Selected Administrative matters
A policy that covers events that fall under the following broad categories:
- Personal Injury and/or threat to a person
- Property damage
- Consumer matters and debt
- Home and accommodation matters
- Motor vehicle matters
- Education matters
- Status, reputation and identity matters
- Banking, insurance, pensions and investment matters
We cover schedule 5 and 6 offences. The terms, conditions and limitations to this cover are explained in the membership agreement.
Personal income tax matters
Policy A and Platinum A main members and spouses who are in possession of a green bar-coded identity document or new identity card qualify for tax advice and assistance from our in-house tax practitioners for the following South African Revenue Services (SARS) personal income tax matters:
- The completion and electronic submission of your annual personal income tax return.
- The submission of supporting documents
- Understanding your SARS notice of assessment (ITA34)
- Understanding tax calculations
- Checking the status of tax accounts with SARS
- Helping to interpret the SARS Income Tax Act and the Tax Administration Act, and the SARS tax self-help guides
- Tax registration advice if you are an individual personal income tax payer
- Querying outstanding personal income tax returns
- SARS audits
- Lodging SARS objections
- Penalties and interest raised by SARS
- Identity theft
- SARS garnishees (IT88)
- Tax implications on pension and provident fund pay-outs
- Liaising with employers regarding the cancellation of duplicate IRP5 certificates or correcting mistakes on issued IT3 / IRP5 certificates
- Liaising with employers on queries with regard to incorrect PAYE deductions, obtaining IRP5 or IT3 certificates
- General tax queries
Policy B & C and Platinum B & C members and spouses qualify for tax advice only.
For more information please refer to your membership agreement.
24-hour Legal Contact Centre
We have legal counsellors available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to provide you with telephonic paralegal services. We also have online assistance through the Scorpion website, WhatsApp, and Facebook page.
Total and Temporary Disablement (TTD) and Retrenchment premium waiver cover
If you are a main member and you are retrenched or injured and unable to pay your premiums as a result, Scorpion will cover your premium for up to 12 months. The terms, conditions and limitations to this cover are explained in the membership agreement.
Our Legal Sting newsletter has Scorpion news, helpful legal tips, alerts, competitions and promos.
Add a parent/parent-in-law
Parents and parents-in-law can be included as dependants under this policy for an additional premium. The premium will apply per parent/parent-in-law, and parents under the age of 60 will not qualify. Please call us on 0861 333 333 for more information.
We give you a 31-day review period. If you are not satisfied with the cover provided and you have not received any assistance (including paralegal services), we will refund you every cent that you paid. You will have 31 days from the inception date of your legal policy (i.e. from the date we received your first premium) to cancel.
The policy cancellation procedures are fully explained in your legal membership agreement.
Limitations - What we do not cover
There are various limitations which apply to the Legal policies. Please refer to the legal membership agreement to view these limits.
Exclusions refer to legal matters that we will not cover and these vary from policy to policy. It is important that you read your membership agreement to know which exclusions apply to your policy. Please click here to read our legal membership agreement.
* Terms, conditions and limitations apply. These can be found in the Membership Agreement, please click here to read our membership agreement.